Saturday 14 September 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy!

Yes that's right I've very busy on the crafty front. I seem to have inspired myself. Since I wrote about WIPs and UFOs I have actually finished a few things. YAY!!! I'm very pleased with myself and can't quite believe that after all these years I now have a new picture hanging on the wall and a nativity set for Christmas.

I decided to tackle the cross-stitch picture first. I knew that there was only a little bit of the back stitching to be done and then I could frame it. So one morning I ventured into Te Awamutu to the picture framers. Unfortunately a pre-made frame didn't quite fit as my picture was too short in the up and down measurement which was a shame as the frame itself was very nice. I hummed and harred over many different styles of frame but I wasn't really taken by any of them. Then, the lovely shop assistant had an absolutely brilliant idea! If I was to add about four or five extra rows at the bottom of the picture by expanding the porch, then it would fit the pre-made frame perfectly. What a fantastic idea! That lady is a genius! Even better, the frame was only $20 instead of $60 for a custom made frame. Wahoo!!! That suited my wallet much better. So off I trotted home with my frame and mounting board all wrapped up in brown paper.

I stitched the five extra rows and then extended the porch back-stitching too.


You might be able to spot a slight colour difference in the new rows - I checked many times that I had the correct shade of thread but my picture must have faded a little which I can't quite believe how that happened as it has sat in the dark, in a bag, for a very looooong time. However now that it's framed and on the wall you can't really see the difference. I did all the mounting onto the backing board myself, a handy skill I learnt at the embroidery shop some time ago.


Then I popped it into the frame, turned it over and.......


I'm very, very pleased to see it finished and hanging on my wall. BUT, it's going to have to be moved as the wall is just too big for the picture but I haven't figured out where it's new home is to be just yet.


I also finished my knitted nativity set. When I left it so long ago, I still had to complete a donkey, two wise men and one more shepherd.


I had to wrack my brain a little to remember how to cast on and I googled one other stitch but all in all knitting came back to me fairly quickly and I quite enjoyed a change from crocheting. Again, finishing this project didn't take me long either.

Here they all are ready and waiting for Christmas. Well they're in a box now waiting patiently.


I've just realised that I haven't made crooks for the shepherds! I'd better get onto that quickly hadn't I?

I found an EFTPOS receipt when I was tidying up the bag with all the wool I had used and although it was faded I could still make out the date. 30 May 07, seven years ago! At least the nativity set has not been waiting as long as the cross-stitch and the quilt (more on that soon) to be finished, I figure them to be over 12 years in the making.

A more recently started project that has been finished is this garden. Remember, it used to look like this a few weeks ago...


...but now, it's finished!



You might notice a few 'sticks' on the left at the back. Yes well, they are hibiscus. Yes I assure you they are. Sadly they got frost bitten but I have planted them out with high hopes that they will recover. One of them has two new leaves, the other I'm not so sure about. I think it might just be too cold for them here in the winter which is such a shame as I really do enjoy how they flower almost all year. This is my many colours flowering garden and I'm looking forward to watching it grow, flower and fill in over the seasons.

That's all for now but hopefully soon I'll be showing you my finished quilt.










No comments:

Post a Comment